Monday, November 15, 2010

Let it snow! (Already - enough with the mud!)

Seriously, let it snow!!! After some wonderful early season snow, it's been warm-ish and dry-ish. Meaning we have a lot of mud, and not so much on the snow front. Sure, we've had flurries, and even some wet gloppy stuff that fell last night, but not Serious Snow. (And Mom won't let us play in the wet gloppy stuff - something about mud and how there aren't enough towels, and fresh sheets and blankets in the house to sop up all the mud, and how she doesn't want to be Bisselling the carpets to get muddy footprints out. *sheesh* Talk about No Fun.)

Because we can't really indulge in our usual backyard shenanigans, we've been going on a lot of walks. Which is fine.

Oh. Wait. Before I get into the walk thing; let me just state that while my big little sister can be a royal pain in the tuchus at times, I do not want to trade her for a goldfish. Mom pointed out that playing bitey-face with a goldfish wouldn't last very long, nor would it be particularly exciting (no matter how tasty it might be), so I guess I'll keep Abby. But if she starts to get too out of hand, I'm going to start lobbying for a Yorkie or something. I'm just saying.

Okay, so back to our walks. Yesterday it was windy and cloudy and damp.

This was the best 'flag picture' Mom could get - we were at a stoplight, and no she didn't dash in and buy cheeseburgers for Abby and me. I don't know why not.

As you can see, the snow on the lower hills is vanishing, except for where they are making it. The Olympic Park (where they do ski jumping, bobsled, luge and skeleton) was actively making snow when we walked past, despite the damp air.

And while the ski areas are making/holding snow on the runs (you can see part of Park City Resort) in the background our hiking trail is snow-less.

This is at the start of our walk; it's paved for about a quarter mile and then we get onto a dirt/gravel thing that goes for miles and miles and miles and miles.

And even though I'd rather have Abby than a goldfish, it doesn't mean that I can't blow raspberries at her when Mom tries to get photo ops...

Heehee.

Because Mom and Dad think that we don't get enough exercise, they had increased the length of our walks. Apparently 5 miles is not enough to slow Abby down. (Kids today... *sigh*) So we have all sorts of farmland and mountain views and stuff.

Apparently this is called 'scenery'. Okay, we've seen it. Moving on...

Seriously, moving on... There is important stuff to sniff here.

Our pond has been closed for the winter. I guess they are trying to put down more grass and stuff; by the end of the summer many of the banks of the pond had been worn down to the sheeting they used to make the pond in the first place (the stuff is really slippery...). Mom says it's too cold to go swimming anyway.

Just because she's all dressed up in a coat and hat and gloves and stuff...

We're so not convinced about this closed pond thing....

Anyhoo, after the walk yesterday, it clouded up again, and we observed the Worldwide Moment in the middle of a snow squall (apparently Abby needed to walk a little more... I'm thinking about talking to Mom and having Abby signed up to run in the Iditarod this year....). And then we came home and lit a candle for all those who have crossed the Bridge and for all of those who are ailing.

And I think Dad said a little prayer to the Snow Gods.

If it snows, Abby and I will be back to our regular backyard zoomies (in addition to our regularly scheduled walks, because, if you haven't noticed, Abby has a lot of energy... if we could figure out how to harness her energy, I don't think Mom and Dad would have to pay an electric or gas bill ever again... I'm just saying...). In the meantime, we'll be walking. And driving Mom and Dad nuts, because we can...

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

11 comments:

Kellee the Caffeinated said...

Oh how I love Park City!!!! It's been a few years since I was there last. My mom's best friend lives in Sandy and it's awesome to visit!

~The Mama Monster

♥ Sallie said...

I would love to go for a walk there and see some of the "scenery"! :)

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

A 5 mi walk doesn't slow her down?????? Are you kidding!!!!!!!?????????? OMD

Kari in Alaska said...

in our house a lot of mud means a lot of baths! enjoy those long walks. We do that in our house and Mesa recharges after a quick nap

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

D.K. Wall said...

We went from a little snow a week ago to totally dry and windy - meaning forest fires popped up. Back to rain today and snow by mid-week. Gotta love the change in seasons.

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Fiona...Mumsie can feel the pain of the mud on the floors, carpets, sheets, chairs etc etc...

Last year she got the bright idea to buy a plastic dishpan...yep...she fills it up with warm clean water from the sink in the garage...I get a treat, then I go first cuz otherwise I bite Scruffy...she dunks my paws then dries them off and I get popped inside...then Scruffy gets dunked and dried...(she keeps tons of old washrags out in the garage...) Then big Stan goes...he just gets one big paw dipped at a time...then he's dried off, water dumped and we're all in...she's got it down to about five minutes...much less time than wiping and wiping with wet rags...keeps the carpet cleaner too...she longs for the dry frozen weather we get in January...no mulch tracked in...

See if this helps you...works better than anything else for us...

Kisses, kids...

Lacie Girlie xxoooxx

Our word verrie is ashoogel...is that family friendly??? sheesch!

Oh...and when we get our furstrimmed this week, we think it's going to be an all over one length puppy cut...no long terrier skirts that is a magnet for dirt...

Lorenza said...

Sure you had a loooong walkie at a very nice place!
I hope your snow comes back soon!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

central bark designs said...

Looks like you have a great place for nice long walks. Remind me again how much energy a puppy has! Oh no!

Unknown said...

What a great walk, Abby! Hope you do get some snow soon...I've never seen snow and would love to experience it!

It's so weird how my American doggie friends are all talking about snow and cold and winter - and we're going into summer here and everyone's getting ready to head to the beach!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥ said...

Hi Fiona,

Just want to let you know that I used a flower picture of you along with one of Fred for my "F" dogs on my annual A-Z flower posts. I hope you don't mind. I can take it off it you want.

{{{huggies}}}..........Mona

Sue said...

Gee, we love to run and play in the mud. MOm gave up trying to was 40 feet every time we come inside, so she keeps the mop handy. Noah tries to bite the mop, what a goof!
Morgan, Tsar and the Porties