Thursday, January 29, 2009

A lazy, windy day

I’m feeling lazy today. I finally broke down and went grocery shopping (when we run out of the essentials – juice, coffee, and dog cookies – it’s time to go to the store). I meant to fill the truck up, but I could only find 1 gas station remotely close to the store that had diesel. This is the land of 5th wheels and motorhomes. How can there be no diesel? I know of places on the other side of town (a whopping 5 minutes away, but did I mention that I was feeling lazy? Besides, we’ve still got a quarter tank of gas. Which, with the truck, should get us about 5 miles. In truth, it’s a little better than that on gas, but nothing like the Saturn, which has a 12 gallon gas tank, and seems to run forever. It’s just a good thing we don’t drive very far, or very often.), but none on the main north-south freeway from the bridge crossing to California up to Lake Havasu City. And given that gas is WAY cheaper here than in California, I just don’t understand the lack of diesel pumps.

Yes, I spent a better part of the drive home pondering the paucity of gas stations with diesel pumps. Did I mention that my iPod was being funky, and so it was contemplating the fueling options between Parker and Parker Dam, or listening to Hank Williams (senior). And I just wasn’t up for Hank today.

I was going to go for a jog today, after the grocery thing, but by the time I got back home a wicked north wind kicked up. Wicked enough that my baseball hat won’t stay on my head. And that’s pretty much my barometer of when it is Too Windy To Jog. Because at the speed I go, I’ll get blown backward on the way out… And Fiona is still on the Injured Reserve list; she’s not supposed to do anything more strenuous than ‘very short walks’ for another 3 days. Yes, she’s going stir-crazy. I actually resorted to giving her a little valium yesterday to keep her from bouncing off the walls. She seems to be a little better today… And since I don’t have the excuse of needing to exercise the dog, I’m going to take the day off. Hopefully we’ll be able to get out and ride tomorrow (it’s not supposed to be as windy. I think.).

In case you care, here’s today’s forecast: Sunny and breezy. Highs 71 to 76. North wind 10 to 20 mph. Gusts to 30 mph in the afternoon. I think we’ve hit the gusty part of the day. Being in a fancy-schmancy motorhome, our main awning is automated; we’ve got an anemometer on the top of the coach, and when the winds hit a certain speed, the awning automatically comes in, so it doesn’t get ripped off. We usually pull the awning in before the automatic system does, but it’s still sort of handy.. Tomorrow looks better: Sunny. Highs 72 to 77. North wind 10 to 15 mph. That wind shouldn’t be too bad. Especially if we get out early.

Anyhoo, I think I’m going to sit on the couch with the doggies and watch Boston Legal episodes (I bought myself the first 4 seasons on DVD as my Christmas present to myself).

No comments: