Sunday, December 15, 2013

In Which Mom Gets "Artsy"

As some of you may know, our Mom has been saving her pennies to get a new camera, and it was supposed to have arrived on Friday, but due to the complexities of holiday shipping, UPS had an "unexpected delay" and now says her camera should be here on Monday.  However, the delay has not stopped Mom from  "trying some new things" when taking pictures.

Frankly, we are a little curious as to why Mom wants to try new things.  Is she trying to say that frisbee photos are "getting old"?  It can't be.  Because you really cannot have enough of this:

Arrrrgh!

Nice throw, Mom!

Sproing!

Jaws of Doom!

"I got it!  I got it!"

I pounce on the unsuspecting frisbee, like the stealthy frisbee-hunter that I am!

Ho-hum.


Mom says that it's not that frisbee photos are getting old, but that since she spends so much time and energy taking pictures of us, she'd like to "actually learn how to take pictures beyond just pushing a button and hoping something good happens."  Well, if that translates into better pictures of us, who are we to argue?

"Better pictures of us?  Well, okay.  If you insist."

Since Mom was still using her 'point and shoot' camera this weekend, she thought she'd trying some pictures from different angles.  Which mostly seemed to consist of Mom lying in the snow on her back and seeing what sort of pictures she'd get.

I will admit that I was a tad mystified by this new photographic technique.

"Hey, um, Mom?  Are you okay?  Do want me to call Dad?  Or one of those shaggy doggies who carries flasks of brandy or something?"
But when Mom assured me she was okay, Abby and I let her snap away.


Holy schnozzes, Batman!  I don't think Abby needs to even ask if this picture makes her snooter look big!

Still a big schnozz.

Me being pensive.  Or possibly checking out the squirrel activity.

Abby's schnozz looks MUCH smaller from this angle!

How wrong can you go with a classic snowy snooter photo?

I don't think this was exactly what Mom was going for, but it's nice to see the sky in the background!

Abby with her head in the clouds!  Heehee!

Okay, Mom was standing up again for this one, but I'm so pretty, how could Mom NOT include it?

Then Mom decided she'd try 'photoshopping' some of the pictures to see what she'd get.

One variety of B&W

Mom is really keen on this picture.  I can't say I blame her - it's a cool picture of Abby AND her schnozz looks small here, too!

I have to admit, Abby looks good in black and white!

And in high contrast.
I should mention that Abby is a bit more tolerant of Mom lying in the snow than I am.  I still think it's a little weird.

The all-seeing eye!

Abby's fading!  Heehee!
Maybe not gallery-quality, but it seems to amuse Mom, and if it means she'll keep handing out treats while taking pictures of us, who are we are argue?  Anyway, when Mom's new camera gets here, she'll be able to start experimenting with shutter speed and aperture and all sorts of other stuff about which we know nothing.

Oh, and on a final note, Mom was "too busy" to make a trip to the Magic Cheeseburger Window this weekend, but Abby's birthday wasn't completely ignored.  She still had to wear the Dreaded Birthday Hat!

Happy 4th birthday, Abby!
She'll look much more thrilled when we go to the Magic Cheeseburger Window, trust me!

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

15 comments:

Kari in Alaska said...

Whenever I see the word Artsy I think fartsy. Mature, I know

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Molly the Airedale said...

We love the pictures of you girls from below! Exactly how long did your mom lay in the snow?
Happy Birthday, Abby! Enjoy your cheeseburger!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

Dexter said...

So sometimes you are black and white and sometimes you are in color. Very Wizard of Oz.

Kisses,
Dexter

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Wow No Birfday Celebrations YET... That means you get a DOUBLE Cheeseburger.

Love your pictures.. can't wait to see what the NEW Flashy Beast will do.

Two French Bulldogs said...

New cameras are so exciting. You already take great pictures
Lily

The Army of Four said...

I have to say, you two babes look incredible in ALL of those photos, but the snowy snooter ones are my favorites!
Play bows,
Zim

Anonymous said...

Abby's nose is frightening in a couple of these photos. No offense, but maybe you should be calling her hipposnooterus.

The Daily Pip said...

I like snowy snout pictures! I'll have one in my post on Wednesday! I'm working very hard to jump as high and catch frisbees like you dogs!

My assistant has a fancy camera but she doesn't really know how to use it. Lol!

Ruby

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Wow!!!! Those are some artsy shots and we can't to see what your Mama does with her fancy new camera!

Smileys!
Dory

jen said...

I think the pictures are great! I've been known to get down and dirty.... or snowy too :)

Murphy said...

Abby is a youthful 4 year old!! And she rocks the hat too. Mom isn't very knowledgeable about taking photos but your mom might try this: Take a shot from behind the Dood's head so you have a shot at what the Dood is looking at. Shots from behind (walking) are also fun. Sometimes they lead to good pics.

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley

Pee Ess - Please visit our POTP page. We added Rory cuz he had a bad emergency.

bichonpawz said...

OK....so was your mom actually buried in the snow for like the whole night???? Awesome photos!! And yeah...even we have to admit that the snooter is quite large in a couple of those photos. A new camera is a ton of fun...you'll love it!! We really do like the pics you take now...but these are really something!! xo Chloe and LadyBug

Dog By Nature said...

Take it from me, whenever that camera comes out you're going to get all the cookies you could want! Looking forward to seeing you all with some bokeh!-Sunny puppy

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello fiona and abby its dennis the vizsla dog hay those ar sum verry intresting angles and wotnot!!! i like the pensiv shots and the all seeing eye is mutch nicer then the eye of sauron!!! i think if dada tried lying on the grownd and tayking pikchers of me i wood probly hav to lik him to deth!!! ha h ok bye

said...

Love the new camera and look forward to lots of beautiful fuzzy faces :) Thank you soooo much for the Christmas Card. It's going on the fridge, cause we love you girls!