Thursday, June 1, 2017

Joining the Big Leagues

Mom got a new flashy beast this week, and since she's all excited about it, I'm going to let her blather on about it. I will say one thing that is cool - she is now able to capture Little Black Demon Dog in all of dorkishness. So now the world can see what I mean about my sister.... Now, over to Mom.

Mom here. I have finally moved up to the Big Leagues with a full frame sensor camera, the Nikon D750. All I can say is "I have SEEN  THE LIGHT"!  Wow. I honestly didn't realize what I was missing, but now that I know, I'm going to see what I need to do to have my backup camera also be a full frame sensor.  All of my past cameras have been crop-sensors - which have worked well, but when photographing Little Black Dog, I have noticed times when the auto-focus can't quite pick out what part of the black blur should be the primary focus point. I was also getting to the point where I wanted to replace the cameras I have (they are in fine condition, but I like to turn them over while the are still in good shape...), and when I began researching the FX Nikons, I liked what I read about the D750 - great auto-focus, great in low-light, and not much bigger/heavier than the D7100.

I am still figuring out how to set up the camera (and I'm adjusting to not having the 'telephoto effect' that a crop sensor gave me - 85mm is not as much of a telephoto lens on a full sensor camera - and I have no idea how my 24-70mm lens is going to be!), but I really, really, really like it!

The first photo I took outside in very low-light. I hadn't figured out the focus points yet, but I love how it came out.

85mm is much farther away with this camera! I think my 70-200mm lens is going to be on the camera a lot!

Fi is happy with it!
As I mentioned, one of my goals was to get better action photos of Little Black Dog. So far, my expectations have been more than met!  The next three photos are all in a sequence (it shoots 6.5 frames/second).




My camera has definitely not improved Daisy's catching skills!



However, she looks quite good when she picks the ball off the ground and holds it....


Look forward to more pictures of the dynamic duo in the days, weeks, months (and more) to come!

5 comments:

Kinley Westie said...

Great photos!

Molly the Airedale said...

Beautiful photos and so sharp!

Murphy said...

Wow, those are amazing shots. And Daisy was so close to catching her WIlson!

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley

Two French Bulldogs said...

Fantastic shots!!
Lily & Edward

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello fiona and daisy its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow daisy how do yoo levitayt the bal off the grownd like that??? ar yoo yoozing the forse??? i wish i noo how to yooze the forse!!! ok bye